Monday 5 November 2012

Emergency Alerts for the Hard of Hearing

I am a writer with moderate hearing loss, which I have had since I was in my early 30's. Now in my mid 50's I want to create a blog where we can have open discussion about what it is like in the world of the hard of hearing. This may be humorous stories or poignant ones and hopefully there will be some useful advice on how to avoid the isolation which occurs when communication becomes difficult. Please interact with the site. It's for you and me to talk.

 Last week's terrible news about the difficulties caused by Hurricane Sandy made me think about how people with hearing loss are alerted to danger. I am fortunate that my own hearing would allow me to hear someone knocking loudly at a door or perhaps a loud bell. But how do others with a more severe impediment receive news alerts? I would imagine that in many cases such individuals rely on good neighbours or relatives. This made me think about good neighbour schemes and how they could help in such emergencies. 

Do you know of what schemes there are in your area? Are there people living near you who would be vulnerable in an emergency situation? Do you think that there should be a central record kept of such people? And what about communities where the people are so poor that alert systems are prohibitively costly? 

Please feel free to send me your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment