Thursday 17 January 2013

What I Can Hear

I am a writer with moderate hearing loss, which I have had since I was in my early 30's. Now in my mid 50's I want to create a blog where we can have open discussion about what it is like in the world of the hard of hearing. This may be humorous stories or poignant ones and hopefully there will be some useful advice on how to avoid the isolation which occurs when communication becomes difficult. Please interact with the site. It's for you and me to talk.

When someone has a medical problem or disability life can become a series of 'can'ts'. Can't do, Can't participate, Can't hear, Can't see, etc.

I like to think of my life as a series of can do's. I am able to hear some of the birds, I can hear the beat of music, I can hear if I use my hearing aids, I can see and feel. So I think that I am lucky. 
Maybe as a result of my hearing loss, I seem to have developed great observational skills. I was always put on boat watch when we sailed because I was pick out things on the horizon long before the others. This is not due to exceptional eyesight but I do think that I have learned to use my other senses to accommodate my weaker hearing.

So instead of thinking what is impossible to do I want to think of what I can do.

I also write on www.writelindy.wordpress.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment