Monday 29 October 2012

The Wave

I am a writer with moderate hearing loss, which I have had since I was in my early 30's. Now in my mid 50's I want to create a blog where we can have open discussion about what it is like in the world of the hard of hearing. This may be humorous stories or poignant ones and hopefully there will be some useful advice on how to avoid the isolation which occurs when communication becomes difficult. Please interact with the site. It's for you and me to talk.


Have you experienced the wave? It can make a person feel quite small.
It's that movement of someone's hand telling me that I am talking too loud and need to lower my voice. Sometimes people don't wave but just come right out and say something along the lines of 'shush' or 'you're really loud'.

I have developed a thick skin to help me deal with these types of gestures and comments however, if others wonder why people with hearing loss can become isolated and shun society, then maybe they should consider how they help someone to recognise that his or her voice is too loud. My hearing clinic would be recognised as excellent however the treatment plan is centred around equipment to improve the hearing rather than helping the adjustment to the change hearing loss can bring to one's social and working life.

Most of us mortals with hearing loss do not hear our own voice particularly well. So it is very difficult to judge how loud we need to speak, in particular when there is a lot of background noise. I find myself compensating for anything which makes it more difficult to hear by raising my own voice. I am fortunate in having a huge circle of friends who understand and love me in spite of my bellowing voice however others are not so lucky.

The workplace can be a really difficult setting for individuals with hearing loss. I would love to hear about the ways my readers deal with the daily issues that arise. Please feel free to comment, whether you are suffering from hearing loss, have a relative with hearing loss or are a care giver in the field. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment